Monsoon is one of the prettiest weather which makes you want to get drenched in the cold rainwater but that is the one thing you should avoid doing at all costs. Because the monsoon offers favourable humidity and temperature for germ development, throat infections are widespread throughout the monsoon season. You must seek consumption from the best ENT specialist in Mumbai.
Types of infections that can occur in the rainy season
Rain exposure can result in a bacterial throat infection that, if left untreated, can progress to the Eustachian tube. According to the top ENT specialists,these infections are prevalent during monsoon.
- Viral infections: Dangerous viruses that cause diseases thrive in humid weather. Here are some examples:
- Malaria is caused by mosquitoes in stagnant water.
- Dengue through mosquitoes.
- Chikungunya is also caused by mosquitoes.
- Hepatitis A&E.
- Cold and Flu(influenza).
- Bacterial infections are also common in this type of weather as the humidity and moisture supplement their growth.
- Typhoid caused by Salmonella Typhi.
- Fungal infections occur due to exposure to dirty which contains harmful microorganisms.
- Athlete’s foot.
- Fungal infection in ears.
Some the diseases might end up involving the ear, nose or throat and manifest the following symptoms:
- Bacterial infection symptoms: these include
- Stuffiness in the ear
- Formation of pus and discharge from the ear
- Ear ache
- Fungal infection symptoms: these include
- Redness in outer ear and itching
How do you prevent ENT Problems during the rainy season?
Prevention is always better than cure. If you can avoid a problem by taking proper measures, you must do it.
- Avoiding cold meals and beverages, as a prolonged throat illness can result in ear infections.
- After taking a thorough bath, you must clean your ears thoroughly with a dry clean cloth as bacteria and fungi tend to get trapped in the ears which leads to infections.
- Cotton swabs should not be used to remove earwax because they may contain germs that can cause ear infections. Even earbuds can bring bacteria into the ears.
- Disinfect headphones, earphones, or any other auditory equipment to avoid bacterial development that might lead to an ear infection.
- During the monsoon season, if you see any wet patch on your wall you should treat it as early as mould might grow on it which will disperse harmful microorganisms in the air.
- Always dry your clothes properly before wearing them as moist clothes are ideal for fungal or bacterial growth.
- Check your ears for ear wax regularly, and have your ears cleaned by a doctor if necessary.
- If anyone near you is suffering from an infection, maintain your distance to avoid catching the infection.
How to cure ear infections?
While you must seek medical care if the discomfort in your ear, nose or throat persists for a long time, making some lifestyle changes can help you deal with it at home.
- Maintain hygiene.
- Avoid eating junk food from outside.
- Keep yourself hydrated. Try to drink lukewarm water rather than cold water.
- Wash your groceries before using them.
- If there is any stagnant water in your surroundings, drain it.
ENT Specialist clinic is where you must go if the infection is not getting better and increasing your discomfort. It is important that you go to a certified and trusted ENT Specialistbecause ENT needs extra care and precision with treatment.