The old saying, “prevention is better than cure” means that boosting our immune system more crucial more than ever before!
Surprisingly, the majority of Indian kitchens are stocked with immune-boosting ingredients that only require to be uncovered by you. Let’s begin the process of discovering immune-boosting food items that are readily available within India kitchens. Here you go!
This yellow Indian spice has become the mainstay of each Indian spices box. From healing injuries to preventing dangerous internal ailments such as cancer, turmeric is recognized to cure nearly everything due to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Furthermore, it assists in improving the immunity.
Effective Methods to Consume Turmeric:
- Mix it with the hot milk of a glass and take it on a daily basis
- Mix it with water and lemon drink it like an energizing drink
2. Tulsi (Holy Basil)
Tulsi can do wonders, and acts as a natural boost to your immune system and helps to keep illnesses at in check. Holy basil leaf extract boosts the T helper cells as well as natural killer cells’ activity which boosts the immune system.
Effective ways to consume Tulsi:
- Consume Tulsi leaves in the direct way
- Include it in tea and/or green tea as you are making tea
- In the kadha (an Ayurvedic drink) while making
Garlic is a source of alliin which aids your immune system to fight off infections. Research suggests that garlic needs to be chewed on, crushed or cut to release allicin, believed to confer on garlic its anti-inflammatory properties.
Effective ways to consume Garlic:
- Garlic is most effective when raw garlic is eaten with an empty stomach.
- Garlic needs to be chopped or crushed and then utilized in a variety of dishes.
Yogurt is not just high in nutrients, but it is also recognized for its ability to improve the immune system. Yogurt is loaded with probiotics (good bacteria) which help boost your immune system’s reaction by increasing the number of cells that absorb harmful particles.
Effective ways to consume Yogurt:
- You can enjoy plain yogurt just in its natural state
- Use it for salad dressings
- Mix yogurt and a bit of water, salt and sugar and sip the delicious drink called Lassi or buttermilk.
Every Indian home is equipped with a bottle of jaggery (gur) that is kept in its kitchen. The sweet and natural ingredient is an excellent source of selenium and zinc which help prevent free radical damage caused by the oxidative stress. Furthermore, jaggery is high in antioxidants, minerals, as well as other nutrients which help keep the body warm and increase immunity.
- It is possible to eat jaggery in between meals to help improve your digestion and also
- Jaggery is a great ingredient to add to hot tea, hot milk or desserts
- It is also possible to drink jaggery with turmeric. It assists in clearing the throat.
In addition to these foods that boost immunity also, other vegetables and fruits should be included in your daily diet. In addition, it is crucial to stay hydrated, work out regularly for at least 20-30 minutes, get a 7 to 8 hours of sleep and stress yourself out through meditation, yoga and other such activities.
In order to win the fight against COVID it is essential to look after your body by staying in the house and observing COVID-specific behavior and eating foods that boost immunity.